WHAT IS DRY MOUTH?
- Simply put, dry mouth means that you aren’t producing enough saliva to keep your mouth moist.
- Saliva helps digest food, protects teeth from decay, and prevents infection, while making it possible to chew and swallow food.
- Dry mouth can also cause hastle to denture wearers, causing for a lack of suction, leading to your dentures to seem as if they are floating around your mouth!
CAUSES OF DRY MOUTH
- Most common causes of dry mouth include:
- certain medications
- cancer therapy
- autoimmune dificiencies
- vitamin deficiencies
- If dry mouth is caused by medication, your physician may change your medicine or adjust your dosage
- Over-the-counter prescription medicines
- Drink more water
- For denture wearers:
- some cleaners and adhesives keep your mouth more moist
- A sticky, dry feeling in your mouth or throat
- Trouble chewing, swallowing, tasting, or speaking
- A burning feeling in the mouth
- A dry tongue
- Cracked lips
- Gum irritation
- More frequent tooth decay
- Mouth sores
- Bad breath
Here at the Shaun Dunn Denture Clinic, we offer a brand of denture adhesives and denture cleaners, made especially for those suffering from dry mouth! Call us today or see our Facebook page to find out more!